Sunday, May 18, 2008

rewarded by reverence

I wirte about reverence for life, not because I know much about it, but because I recognize that I am shaped by my response to living mindfully.

I have learned that it is not a set of rules, as I wrote in an earlier post. It requires no action other than attention and an awareness of my corner of the world. I encounter chances to rever and respect life all of the time, in the mundane and the common.That means interupting a thought (a worry) to look for the lilac bush that just sent a waft of perfume when I walked by.

When I listen with the intent of hearing I open up to all that is around me. It isn't all good, believe me but there is goodness out there and I have need of it. Simple, true reverence has the reciprocal power to comfort and to heal me.


In the moments that I actually focus my line of sight and look, I see others. I notice them and in the noticing I appreciate them, reverence moves in.


My tendancy is to define everything and everyone by my own set of experiences. In His wisdom, God is revealing that this life is a process, a different, difficult unfolding as unique and individual as we can be. I don't have the answers. I am not required to have the answers.I am asked to witness life as it is revealed not judge it.

No comments: