Friday, January 30, 2009

books I recommend part 2

I have read some really good ones lately:

Art of Racing in the Rain by Garth Stein. The narrator is Enzo, a dog who plans on coming back as a man in his next life. Stein also wrote How Evan Broke His Head, memorable. Both take place in Seattle

Guernsey Literary and Sweet Potato Peel Pie Society by Mary Ann Shaffer and Annie Barrows. Did you know that Guernsey is an island in the English Channel, occupied by Nazis during WWII?

Odd Thomas, Forever Odd, Brother Odd and Odd Hours four in a series written by Dean Koontz. Oddie sees souls who have not yet departed and saves the world more than once.
Also, Lightning by Dean Koontz...time travel intrigues me.

Jacqueline Winspear has written a few mysteries that are very good. Maisie Dobbs is the first. There is also Pardonable Lies, Messinger of Truth and Birds of a Feather. Maisie is an independent detective in London right after the War.

The Lottery by Patricia Woods. Perry's IQ is only 76, but he's not stupid. His grandmother taught him everything he needs to know to survive.

I thought I had it bad until I read The Glass Castle by Jeannette Walls...her story

And last but not least Three Dog Life by Abigail Thomas the cover drew me in. The author is seated in the center of a sofa with dogs on each side of her.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You read such oddly titled books my friend! I will look into all that I haven't already read.
E'beth