Sunday, July 5, 2009

bah !!

Just spent a miserable night, July 4th....bah! It was a sad day remembering the passing of Cheyenne last year. But I was handling that.

At 10:00 p.m. the roar of fireworks "bursting in the air" was deafening. It continued on until 1:30 a.m. I sat cuddling and consoling three cats. Of course, their terror didn't go away at 1:30a.m. I was still soothing them at 5:00 a.m.

Yes, my county has laws about illegal fireworks...which are ignored by so many citizens. Yes, the area is unusually dry, fire marshall's begged people to use good judgement....also ignored by these fine upstanding citizens.

What is so patriotic about lighting fire to gunpowder, unless you are defending your homeland? Don't give me that symbolic rhetoric, I don't think any of the oohs and awes were based on 1776 and the fight for freedom.

Did the money spent on fireworks stimulate the economy? Yeah, China's economy. In 2007 Americans spent $900 million on fireworks. I couldn't find the amount for this year, yet. (I also read that in 2006 China imported $500 million worth of American Flags!!!)

On a small positive note my little pocket community had it's annual parade at noon. I was cheered by the kids on bikes and dogs passing by all decked out in red white and blue. Later they gathered for hot dogs and swimming. That is great, I'm all for community.

As I finish this I am still angry, I am tired. And I feel like an old crone carrying on. But I am so against the whole practice of fireworks, they hold no charm, only waste and destruction...BAH!

No comments: