Sunday, November 8, 2009

"Language is the dress of thought."

Samuel Johnson said "Language is the dress of thought".

I just love the idea that we  dress our thoughts; be it velvet and satin, feathers, a three piece suit, cotton overalls and a flannel shirt, cammo, or full metal armor. There is color, texture and pattern in "what we wear".

I want to believe that most of the time my thoughts and therefore my words are attired in soft blue jeans and a comfortable T-shirt. I aim to inspire using cozy simple language. Alas, my Reverence for Life language might be lost on the teen wearing a prom dress or on a Wall Street Trader.

 In the light of this quote, I  consider what my motive is. Am I just throwing words out to give life to a naked thought? In some situations that could be theraputic. On the other hand, if I "throw" something out, chances are good that someone else will catch it and have to dress it themselves. Then what?

My word choice says what I think.  I reach into my word closet in search of suitable attire? What is the occasion and who will be there?  Just what am I trying to say? What am I thinking?!

No comments: