Friday, December 25, 2009

All that is not given is lost

"All that is not given is lost." Father Ceyrac

(Jesuit Father Pierre Ceyrac, 95, is almost as well known and revered in India as Mother Teresa. Every day, he feeds 25,000 underprivileged children and gives them the opportunity to go to school.)

I jotted this quote down a couple years ago and ran across it again this morning. Since this is the giving season, I am looking for the connection between Christmas and these profound words.

A loose interpretation would be "If I want to keep this I must give it away". That thought is very freeing in an abstract way.


My tradition is to celebrate the arrival of God on earth as a human, to give gifts as the Magi did, to sing with joy, to exalt His birth. If I give with an attitude of reverence I keep all that is dear to my heart.

I do give my all when it comes to love. So I will not lose love.

And one of my mottoes is "do what I say I will do when I say I will do it", which I strive to follow yet sometimes fail. I do not want to lose my word. If there is honor in the intention then I will not lose honor or intent.

What do you think? How does the quote apply to your life?





No comments: