Sunday, March 2, 2014

Eighteen months since I put words to this page. Long enough that the Blog setting has changed...as does life.

Just to catch up with events: I took a new position in the Issaquah Library in January 2013. There was so much to digest and establish myself at the same time proving you can teach an old girl new tricks. I enjoy the work most of the time, enough to stay with it beyond the time I could retire.

My dear sweet mom left this world in August. I am so grateful to my family for calling me home soon enough to spend two days with her. I made a second trip for her memorial service. Someone told me long ago that grief empties you and fills  you at the same time. So true.
 

Losing her kind of took the wind out of my sails. Three weeks later one of my cats couldn't go on any longer...I stalled and went on autopilot...a saving grace. Reality sets in now and I look around seeing the obvious; I need to restart the engine. I am hoping the spring will warm us. I am  always at my best when the sun shines.

I marked my 65th birthday. I don't feel 65 and I don't want to be 65. I was signing up for the obligatory Medicare the day before my birthday when I had 3 months before to do it...see what I mean. I still have never asked for a "senior discount", it just never dawns on me. My friends have already retired or are planning the day. I expect I will have an epiphany and that will be it for me, too.

One thing I do have to learn for self preservation, ask for help. I take this from Louise Penny's Still Life. Gamache insists his team learn to say four things:
  • I don't know
  • I need help
  • I'm sorry
  • I forget 

No comments: