Sunday, September 30, 2007

stories that give strength

My dad has been writing down his family history. It is a challenge for him and my mom and I am so grateful. They have put their heads together and come up with sequences of events.

His telling of what seemed liked constant moving and following work for my grandparents during the 20's and 30's reveals so much. As with so many families in those times , I wonder what was lost and what was gained . What was hardship? What was grace? What was joy?


I noted these words months ago. "Our lineage is our strength. Facts bring us to knowledge but stories bring us to wisdom."

Thank you, Dad and Mom. I hunger for more stories. I soak them up as if they were the homemade bread being dunked into my vegetable soup. They nourish me and make me wiser.


I have another birthday approaching. I'd rather not count the years because I can't possibly be that old! Why just yesterday....

Kenny Chesney has a song called "Don't Blink"
Just like that you're six years old and you're taking naps
Wake up and you're twenty-five and your high school sweetheart becomes your wife.
Don't Blink.
You just might miss your babies growing like mine did.

I blinked. I have memories that are so great. And I remember moments I want to take back or do over.

No comments: