Friday, February 15, 2008

seize your time and make new

I have dabbled in quilt making for a few years now. One day my son told me that he just didn't get it. " You take whole lengths of fabric, cut them up into pieces, then sew them together to get another whole fabric!" I laughed as I realized he was so right. But I can't resist. There are others who piece and quilt at a higher skill level than I. They inspire me onward.


Quilts offer comfort for the body and the soul. They are necessity art.Their creator evokes hope.
Author Marge Piercy wrote about a quilt made years before "...this quilt might be the only perfect artifact a woman would ever see, yet she did not doubt what we had forgotten, that out of her potatoes and colic, sawdust and blood, she could create; together, alone, she seized her time and made new.

I believe that every human ( maybe all creatures) has, at her/his core, the yearning to create. And I'm pretty sure that until each of us allows ourselves to express that pull of soul, we will experience an inner void, a sense of loss no matter how easy or hard life is.
Some of us can grow dahlias, repair a motorcycle, or arrange furniture. Making a sandwich has equal value with the gourmet dinner. A stick man walks as nobly as "masterpiece art". Find a bird, listen to his song, sketch or photograph him, build him a house, feed him. The vegetarian in me won't allow me to suggest that you cook him. :~)


Creativity is only limited by our thinking that we cannot. There is abundance within us all to make new, to create. Our ideas and potential emanate from our center.

No comments: