Sunday, June 21, 2009

We become what we measure

"...The king was in the counting house, counting out his money..." Wish I had a kingdom and needed a house for my riches. What a lovely thought. But what kind of life would I have if the best part was sitting in the counting house?

Contrary to popular belief, keeping count will make us neither rich nor royal. What I have seen is, we tend to become what we measure. How many hours, what was the score, calories eaten, dollars earned or spent, miles driven, temperature?

Keeping a running total is not a bad thing. There is satisfaction in making a goal, measuring progress and attaining the end.

Here is the rub, the focus and love of the "game " removes us from the essence of life. The nourishment and nectar is in the living. If there is a pot of gold at the end of our rainbow, I hope I have the strength and wisdom to dance a joy dance, fill my pockets as full as I can and then get back to the journey. As Martin Luther King Jr said"...the means and the ends are inseparable".



No comments: