Thursday, April 15, 2010

Do things that scare you

Eleanor Roosevelt said, "Do one thing every day that scares you".

I am the biggest scared cat around. Just reading and internalizing those words makes me shiver. (note to self: here is the "thinking and doing" part you always talk about). I am thinking that there are different kinds of fear.

In my defense, I am brave at times. Some mornings just getting out from under my warm covers to face the day is frightening, but I do it. But doing something fearful ever day? Oh Eleanor, I don't think I could.

There are things I have done in spite of my fear. I can remember many years ago I would hyperventilate if I had to make a business call or a doctors appointment...but I did it. I don't like to drive to an area that is unfamiliar and I have gotten lost doing it but I drive on. And there was the time I had to walk across a long train trestle with two toddlers in hand...I am afraid of heights and bridges!

Some people like to feel the adrenaline rush but I doubt that I will ever even bungee jump.

Someone once said "Take your fears to tea". To me that means more than doing what you don't want to do. Don't just sit across the tea table and converse. Turn the fear around and upside down and interview it. Many fears once faced turn out to be unfounded.

I once feared becoming a lonely old woman. I am now alone, getting older, and I am just fine!

No comments: