Sunday, September 26, 2010

Pandora's hope


There are many variations on the myth/story of Pandora. I offer no additional thoughts, but I reread the story and was so surprised by a fact I did not know. Yes, Pandora opened a box (symbolic, I suppose) and out flew hate, anger, sickness, poverty, and every bad thing in our world. What I didn't know was, HOPE also flew out.

I am a big fan of hope. It is one of the staples in my cupboard for survival. My eyes seek it in-between the lines of all that is without hope. I am seldom disappointed, because it is always within reach, hovering, waiting to be noticed and held. I confess that I carry a piece of hope in my pocket...along with a tissue and the note of the day...kind of like carrying  "just in case" armor.

I marvel at the fact that hope accompanies hate, anger, sickness and poverty. It survives to comfort us and to remind us that bad things come. Those  challenges  have no defense in the face of hope...they flee; hope stays.

No comments: