Of course, how could I forget? So I dug out a book ("The Language of Letting Go" by Melody Beattie) whose wisdom got me through some very tough times. I started reading some of the passages again.
In the back are notes I took over time. I don't know the originator of this jewel:
Top 10 Co-dependent Phrases
- If only...
- Whatever you want.
- It's really not so bad.
- This time things will be different.
- What do you think I should do?
- No thanks, I can do it all myself.
- Honey, I'll be whatever you want me to be.
- I can't go...too many people need me.
In all honesty I have used every phrase at one time or another. Some of them were a way of life (were is the operative word). I know I am a co-dependent to the bone. I know staying in that mindset is unhealthy. I am a work in progress. It is very hard, yet magically freeing. The daily work pays off. My sanity depends on it and I am worth it.