Friday, September 25, 2009

You know you are a codependent when-

I was talking to very good friend this morning. We got caught up in sharing our worries and frustrations, close to home and globally. Then she reminded me that it is best to take life one day at a time. A twelve step motto, if you didn't know already. Of course, how could I forget? 

I dug out a book ("The Language of Letting Go" by Melody Beattie) whose wisdom got me through some very tough times. I started reading some of the passages again.

In the back are notes I took over time. I don't know the originator of this jewel:
Top 10 Co-dependent Phrases
  1. Okay...
  2. If only...
  3. Whatever you want.
  4. It's really not so bad.
  5. This time things will be different.
  6. What do you think I should do?
  7. No thanks, I can do it all myself.
  8. Honey, I'll be whatever you want me to be.
  9. I can't go...too many people need me.
In all honesty I have used every phrase at one time or another. Some of them were a way of life (were is the operative word). I know I am a co-dependent to the bone. I know staying in that mindset is unhealthy. I am a work in progress. It is very hard, yet magically freeing. The daily work pays off. My sanity depends on it and I am worth it.

No comments: